So, the new Zune 3.0 software/firmware is now available at www.Zune.net. I wish I had known it was coming earlier and had time to test it before it came out.
I have one comment . . . WOW!! Bye Bye iPod.
Tons of new features on the Zune Device:
- FM tagging. If your listening to FM Radio on your Zune (and the station your listening to sends RDS) and you hear a song that you want, you can tag it on the Zune. The next time you sync with the Zune software, or are within wireless range of an available network, you can download that song from the Zune Marketplace!
- Browse the Marketplace wirelessly. If your at home or at a place where there is public WiFi, you can browse the Marketplace and download new music on the go!
- Zune Channels. Haven't played with this much...Yet.
- Games. Yes, you can now play games on your Zune. You can choose to install 2 games when you install the Zune 3.0 software. "Hexic" and "Texas Hold'em"
- A Clock! I know that seems a simple thing, but, the funny thing is, a few months ago I said "I wish this thing had a clock." :-)
There are a few new features in the Zune software itself. I haven't played with these much yet.
- Mixview - Dynamic representations of your collection, as well as artist and song recommendations based on what you and other members of the Social are listening to.
- Rich search functionality - Zune software will offer you suggestions as you type, helping you find the name of an artist or band even if you don't know the correct spelling.
- Social in the software - Set your favorite tracks, update your profile, change your status, and search for other Social members
There are also 2 new Zune models announced.
The 16GB has the same profile as the 4/8GB models and the 120GB is the same as the 80GB. I need to get me one of those 120's!
Are the new features world shattering? No. But MS is definately going in the right direction. There is one big plus. The software is backward compatible to all previous Zune devices! Pull out that old ugly Chocolate 30GB Zune that someone gave you as a present, install the new software and hit the road with it!
I may do a write up on Zune in general. Stay Tuned!